Blogging is an excellent way to work through your thoughts, devote more time to your passions, and share your wisdom or insight.
But in order for a blog to be as rewarding as possible for both yourself and your readers, you need to be organized and focused in your blog content. The most straightforward way to do this is to select a specific topic, name your blog based on that topic, and then stick to content that falls under the scope of that topic.
As simple as that may sound, it can be a daunting task. Here’s how to pick a great topic for your blog, so you can get started on writing.
1. Make a list of your hobbies or passions
The best bloggers are extremely passionate about their blogs, because they’re invested in their writing.
- For most people, the only way that they’ll stick with regular blog posting over the course of months or even years is if they’re really excited about their blogging topic.
- So, the first step is to make sure that you pick a blog topic you’re passionate about. Start by writing a list of your hobbies and passions. If it helps you to brainstorm, then feel free to create a long and rambling list, but then go back through your brainstorm and narrow it down to the activities you’re truly passionate about.
- These activities should be things that you spend a considerable amount of time on (or wish that you could spend a considerable amount of time on).
- If you aren’t sure what counts as a passion, then take note of your mood throughout a day or week. Which parts of your life are you truly excited about? Which aspects of your week always seem to make you happy, or calm you down? These are likely to be your passions.
Recommended : How to Start a Blog With Free WordPress Theme?
2. Pick one item from your list, and then narrow it down (or expand it)
Now that your list is complete, select one item from the list that you are most passionate about and have the most to say about it.
- With your one topic in mind, you now need to adjust the scope. For some people, this means narrowing the focus of the topic, while others will find they need to expand.
- For instance, a blogger who have selected a word such as “animals” will need to narrow it down to a specific animal or a specific aspect of animals. From “animals,” a blogger may find a more successful niche topic in “large animal surgery and medical treatment.”
- The key is to find a topic that’s specific enough that there aren’t many other people blogging about it, while also being general enough that you can write it about it for months or years.
Recommended : How to Build a Fan Following for Your New Blog?
3. Spend time focusing on that topic
Before you finalize your blog topic, spend some time diving deep into your hobby.
- If you plan to blog about modern film and movie making, then sign up for unique film showings in your city. Reconnect with your hobby, and search out possible niche topics in that arena that you’ve been overlooking.
- And even if you don’t end up modifying your blog topic at all, you’ve at least given yourself some new material to blog about.
Recommended : How to insert SEO Keywords in An Article?
4. Get writing!
Once you’ve decided on your blog topic, don’t sit around waiting for the perfect time to start blogging. Just start.
- The best way to learn how to blog is by trying it out, and you’ll get better and better the more that you practice.
- And, if you find yourself wishing you’d picked a different blog topic, don’t fret. You can always start a second blog.